Engineering branch selection, Branch sliding & branch upgradation
After years of hard work & going through the various entrance exams, you are feeling relived but the results are out & you have been ranked as per your performance. you are again in a fix & tension start rising as it is time to think:
- Which branch & its scope
- Which college
- The cut-offs of various colleges
- And finally can I get the desired college & branch
There are lacs of students who will head out for various admission counselings with you being one of the nervous hopefuls in the crowd. There are tens of branches & thousand of colleges to choose from but let us discuss the first thing first that is to choose a branch
Computers?? Electronics?? IT?? Civil?? Mech?? Elec?? …..etc
To start with, the question will be asked to your uncle, aunt or your friend Pappu & you will get the uncle, aunt or Pappu type of answer but the right strategy will be to ask yourself first & think your criteria. for choosing the branch keeping in view your intellectual, social, financial back ground & requirements.
- Quick placement opportunity: This is an important factor to go for a particular branch. Computer, electronics & IT branches are the star performers now a days. There is huge-huge requirement of man power in these sectors & so the chances of employment just after the completion of the course are really high. But as India is on high growth trajectory, the other branches are also picking up. And as the software & IT companies are mass recruiters, they are also hiring the people from mechanical, electrical, chemical branches & so graduates of these engineering branches have dual benefits.
- Salary packages: This is another important factor in selection of branch. The students come to know the great salary packages being offered to computer & IT professionals. The reason behind this is that United States of America & European countries are major buyers of products & services offered by our IT companies. Which is giving us the higher revenue & consequently these companies are also willing to pay good packages down the line. But extraordinary packages are offered only to few, with very good domain skills. And going through the previous years data the talent from other branches like mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, metallurgy etc. is also offered good packages & average salaries for all the branches are as good or even sometimes better than the software domain. So if you have liking for the core branches salary is not a constraint.
- Parental pressures: your parents as well as other family members are your great well wishers wanting you to succeed in life & so pushing you to join streams with higher job scope & lucrative packages. In some cases the parents suggest you to join the specific streams keeping in view their own & family background so that you can be adjusted in the profession easily.
Career goal: You have to keep watch on your ultimate career goal. Whether you want to go for M.S & PHD or just complete the B.Tech & go for a job ? Also if you intend to join MBA then branch does not have any great significance. You can take any branch which looks comfortable & in which you can score well. You may consider the type of preferred job i.e. public or PVT & if answer is Govt/Public sector job, Mech/Civil/Elect will be the most suitable branches.
- Personal interest: This is the most important factor & at your age finding answer to the question is really difficult. But take time to analyze your self & explore your inner qualities. Sit alone in a room & imagine your likings & disliking. Think what interested you during whole of your student life or what kind of activities irritated you.
I know this is really difficult but take time may be few days & keep reviving your memories about your strengths & weaknesses. I am emphasizing the point again & again because if you opt for a wrong, you have to grapple with the boring subjects for four year & even after graduation you will be in the unwanted profession for whole life & resultant tension & dissatisfaction will hamper your growth.
This is easier said than done. There are very few god gifted people who know what their interest is & what they want to do in life. And rest of the 17 year old kids finds it really difficult to opt for a right branch. So we will discuss the main branches briefly to help you to choose the branch of your interest:
- Computer engineering & information technology:
- Do you feel curious about computers i.e. hardware & software
- Do you enjoy exploring the various computer hardware & software
- Do you like solving mathematical problems
- Do you like solving puzzles quickly
- Do you have good analytical/logical skills
- Do you have liking for computer languages like c, c++
If yes, then you can go for this branch but once again make sure that you are good in maths & can sit in front of computer for long hours.
Information technology is also a very similar branch with over 80% of syllabus match. And slightly lesser mathematical skills can also work.
- Electronics & communications engineering:
- Are you curious about computer hardware like processors, hard disks, pendrives
- Do you like automatic machines & instruments
- Do you think about working of TV & radio
- Does the mobile & land line phone signals fascinates you
If yes, opt for the branch
- Do you like to explore your house hold gadgets & keep interest in its working
- Are you charmed by new designs of various cars & bikes
- Do you like the working of different machines
- Are you interested in mathematics & physics
- Can you work on the shop floor for 8/10 hours a day
If the answer is yes, you are fit to take the branch. The production engineering is the other name of the mechanical engineering as the most of the syllabus content is same.
These are the most comprehensive branches of engineering with good employment scope.
- Civil engineering:
- Do you like designing & construction of buildings
- Do you like the construction of roads, bridges, dams & rail lines
- Are you good in subject of drawing
- Are you willing to work on outdoor sites
If your answer is in affirmative, go for the branch. With high infrastructure spending, employment opportunities are great in PVT. As well as GOVT. sector.
Electrical engineering: Like mech., it is a core branch & deal with electric power distribution, generation & maintainance. It also trains you to handle machines which use electricity to be operative. So look if you are interested to play with the gadgets run on electric power & energizing the machines interests you. The course content is similar to the electronics.
Similarly explore other branches in link “Branches & Scope”
So you have done brief study of branches & be clear that no branch is good or bad, it is your interest and level of study which make it good or bad. To make you aware of the your aptitude, we have designed an engineering aptitude test which will help you to understand your inner skills, interest & aptitude & you may be able to decide a suitable branch.
To help you further in selection of suitable branch, we have prepared a table of main factors required to be considered for selection of branch
After so much research & consultations, you come to conclusion that a particular branch suits you but opting for a branch in the given engineering college depends on your entrance exam rank & if the rank is on lower side you may not get your desired branch, So what the option is? The answer is institute level internal sliding/ branch sliding as well as branch shifting:
Internal sliding or branch sliding: There are lot of counseling rounds in the colleges during the admission season & students keep shifting from one college to another in search of better options & due to very complex process of multiple counselings, some seats get vacant in most of the participating institutes under central counseling board. So finally the admitted students are asked to opt for the vacant seats in their allotted colleges & in the process you may slide up & get your preferred branch.
Branch shifting/branch change: As explained above, due to multiple counselings for various institutes lots of seats remain vacant even after expiry of last date of admissions due to one or the other reason & these are treated as lapsed seats. So the students of same college, at start of the 2nd year are allowed to opt for those vacant seats on the basis of their merit in the 1st year of b.tech studies. And if you are keen to shift to particular branch, you have a chance.
Career shift: Lot of students realizes only after few years of study that they have chosen the wrong branch & their interest lies elsewhere. Still they can make a career shift. Shifting to IT & software is easiest as most of the IT companies require people from other domains & hire lots of students from Mech., Elec & other streams. There are lots of other engineering branch- groups like Elect-Electronics, Mech-Production-Auto, Civil-arch, Metallurgy-Mining, chem.-petroleum which are similar to each other & 70% of the course content is same. So shifting between the groups is also possible latter-on.
Similar branches/ branch groups: