News & Updates
UPSC CONDUCTED SCRA EXAM APPLICATION FORMS FOR A B-TECH FROM BIT MESRA
Every student aspiring to get into IITS & NITs must also explore the other opportunities available. One of the options is to appear for UPSC conducted exam for “Special Class Apprentices” SCRA in mechanical department of railways. In case you get through the exam, you will be provided practical & theoretical training by railways & at the end of four years, you will get a B-tech degree from BITS-Mesra, a prestigious Indian engineering institute.
There will be no course fee for the entire period & instead you will be paid around Rs. 10000/- per month as stipend & after completion of the B-Tech course, you may get a class-1 job in railways.
So you will be saving Rs. 4 lac which is a normal expanse for B.Tech completion, earn over 4 lac as stipend & also a secured class-1 Govt. job. What else do you want? So go through the application & exam process given hereunder:
An examination for selection of candidates for appointment as Special Class Apprentices in Mechanical Department of Indian Railways will be held by the Union Public Service Commission on 31st July, 2011 in accordance with the Rules published by the Ministry of Railways (Railway Board) in the Gazette of India dated the 26th March, 2011
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS :
A candidate must be either:-
(a) A citizen of India, or
(b) a subject of Nepal, or
(c) a subject of Bhutan, or
(d) a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India. or
(e) a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, The United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the examination but the offer of appointment may be given only after the necessary eligibility certificate has been issued to him by the Government of India.
Age Limits : (a) A candidate must have attained the age of 17 years and must not have attained the age of 21 years on 1st August, 2011, i.e. he/she must have been born not earlier than 2nd August, 1990 and not later than 1st August, 1994.
Physical Standards: Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Special Class Railway Apprentices, Examination, 2011 as per Regulations given in Appendix-II of the rules for the Special Class Railway Apprentices, Examination, 2011 published in Gazette of India dated 26th March, 2011.
Must have passed in the first or second division, the Intermediate or an equivalent Examination of a University or Board approved by the Government of India with Mathematics and at least one of the subjects Physics and Chemistry as subjects of the examination. Graduates with Mathematics and at least one of the subjects Physics and Chemistry as their degree subjects may also apply.
The candidate can apply Online or offline
(a) Candidates may apply Online by using the website http://www.upsconline.nic.in Detailed instructions for filling up online applications are available on the above mentioned website.
(b) Candidates may also apply offline in the Common Application Form devised by the Commission for its examinations which can be processed on computerised machines.
This application forms along with an Information Brochure containing general instructions for filling up the form, an acknowledgement card and an envelope for sending the application is obtainable from the designated Head Post Offices/ Post Offices throughout the country as listed in Appendix-III of Notice against cash payment of Rs. 30/- (Rupees thirty only). Form should be purchased from the designated head Post Offices Post offices only and not from any other agency. This form can be used only once and for only one examination. Candidates who wish to apply offline must use the form supplied with the Information Brochure only and they should in no case use photocopy/reproduction/ unauthori-sedly printed copy of the Form. Since this form is electronically scannable, due care should be taken to fill up the application form correctly. While filling up the application form, please refer to detailed instructions given in Appendix- II(B) of this Notice. The candidates should also fill up in the relevant places of the Acknowledgement Card, their Application Form Number and the name of the examination.
The applicants are required to affix the postage stamp of Rs. 6/- on the Acknowledgement Card and send the same along with application form to UPSC. If an applicant fails to affix the postage stamp of requisite amount his/her acknowledgement card will not be despatched and Commission will not be responsible for non-receipt of acknowledgement card by the applicant. The duly filled in application form and the acknowledgement card should then be mailed in the special envelope supplied with the Information Brochure. You should also write the name of examination viz. "Special Class Railway Apprentices' Examination, 2011" on the envelope before despatching it to "Controller of Examinations, Union Public Service Commission, Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road, New Delhi-110069".
LAST DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATION FORMS:
(a) ONLINE: The Online Application can be filled upto 25th April, 2011 till 11.59 P.M. after which the link will be disabled.
(b) OFFLINE: (i) The completed Offline Application Forms must reach the Controller of Examinations, Union Public Service Commission, Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road, New Delhi 110069 on or before 25th April, 2011.
A FACILITATION COUNTER FOR GUIDANCE OF CANDIDATES : In case of any guidance/information/clarification regarding their applications, candidature etc. candidates can contact UPSC's Facilitation Counter near gate 'C' of its campus in person or over Telephone No. 011-23385271/ 011- 23381125/011-23098543 on working days between 10.00 hrs and 17.00 hrs.
Conditions of Apprenticeship for Special Class Apprentices Selected through the Examination:
The terms and conditions of Apprenticeship will be as set out in the form of agreement prescribed in the Indian Railway Establishment Manual, brief particulars of which are given below :
- A candidate offered appointment as a Special Class Railway Apprentice shall execute an agreement in the prescribed form binding himself/herself and one surety jointly and severally, to refund, in the event of his/her failing to complete training as a Special Class Railway Apprentices or to accept the service as an officer on probation in the Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers, if offered to him/her to the satisfaction of the Government, any money paid to him/her and any other money expended by Government on him/her, the Government being the exclusive judge of the quantum of such expense.The apprentices will be liable to undergo practical and theoretical training for 4 years in the first instance under an indenture binding them, to serve on the Indian Railways on the completion of their training, if their services are required. The continuance of apprenticeship from year to year will depend on satisfactory reports being received from the authorities under whom the apprentices may be working. If at any time during his/her apprenticeship; any apprentice does not satisfy the superior authorities that he/ she is making good progress, he/she will be liable to be discharged from the apprenticeship.
Note : The Government of India may at their discretion alter or modify the periods and
courses of training.
2. The practical and theoretical training referred to above will be given in a Railway Workshop for four years of their apprenticeship. Special Class Railway Apprentice must pass within this period the Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering from from Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra (Ranchi). The apprentices will be granted a stipend of Rs. 9100/- per month during the 1st and 2nd years and Rs. 9400/- per month during the 3rd year and first six months of 4th year and Rs 9700 for last six months of 4th year. During the apprenticeship, the candidates will be required to undergo both theoretical and practical training. There will be in all Eight Semester Examinations passing each of which is compulsory. If unsuccessful at any of these examination, they will be depending on their performance, be asked to sit for and pass in supplementary examination or reverted to the next lower batch or removed from
Note : Except as provided for in paragraph 4 below or in cases of discharge or dismissal due to insubordination, intemperance or other misconduct or breach of agreement a week’s notice of discharge from apprenticeship will be given.
3. After the completion of 4th year of training referred to in paragraph 2 above, the apprentices will be listed in order of merit on the results of the examination held and the reports of the apprentices received during the period of apprenticeship. Successful apprentices will be appointed on probation for 18 months in the Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers.
Note : An apprentice will be considered to have obtained the qualifying standard if he/ she obtains a minimum of 40 per cent marks in the aggregate in all the examinations held during the Eight Semester Examination of his/her training and 60 percent marks in the reports of the Director Indian Railways Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineers, Jamalpur and of the Chief Works Manager, Jamalpur Workshop provided that in each of the Eight Semester Examination he/she has obtained a minimum of 40 percent marks in the aggregate and minimum of 40 percent marks in all the subjects.
4. Unsuccessful apprentices will be discharged from their apprenticeship, one month’s notice of discharge being given along with the intimation that the apprentice has been unsuccessful.
5. After successful completion of 4 years apprenticeship, the apprentices will be appointed as probationers in the Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers subject to the proviso given below in Para 6. Particulars as to pay and general conditions of service of officers of Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers have been given in Appendix-IV of the Rules published in Gazette of India.
6. The period of probation will be 18 months. The appointment and pay as probationers will commence from (a) the date of completion of 4 years of the apprenticeship or (b) the actual date of completion of training whichever is later : Provided however, that those Special Class Apprentices who could not pass Bachelor of Engineering from Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra (Ranchi) within 4 years of their apprenticeship will be deemed to have been appointed as probationers only from the date when they pass in full in all the Eight Semester.
Note : (i) The retention in service of probationers and their grant of annual increments are subject to satisfactory reports on their work being received at the end of each year of probation.
(ii) The services of probationer may be terminated on three months notice on either side.
← Click here to read more News & Updates